Wednesday, May 16, 2012

creative work advice || life lessons



This is amazing advice for anyone pursuing an area of work/interest pertaining to the arts/creativity. I feel like he's speaking directly to me where I am right now. I get frustrated with the things I create because it's not what I want it to be but I know what I what. I get frustrated with the lack of support and even encouragement to be a sub-par photographer, as if I can't do any better.

"It takes a while. It's going to take you a while. It's normal to take you a while. And you just have to fight your way through that."

May is a month of rest. Taking a break from doing and instead resting especially with photography. I know the video above says to do a lot of work, but right now I feel the need to rest.


As I prepare to go to school in the fall, I started to think about all the ways that I could be ready. I was looking into photography opportunities, internships, jobs and what not. Everyone's advice is to go out and do as much as I can on my own so that I can get a lot of experience. Sometimes when I look at how much other people have done in regards to photography, I feel really inadequate. I wonder if I should just go to school for something else that doesn’t require much work and get a job. But I felt like God has been telling me to be still and stay hidden. It doesn’t make sense because I should be equipping myself with photography skills and knowledge this summer, but God kept saying, “remain hidden”. 

Although I’m poor in the photography world and lacking in experience, I have the kingdom of God where I lack nothing. Though right now I don’t have any experience or any credibility in the photography world, I trust and believe that God is preparing heavenly riches for me that will be manifested in my future job. Though in the natural my situation looks pitiful and kind of pathetic, I am blessed from a kingdom’s perspective. 

After May, June will come and I can't wait to participate in the 30 Days of Creativity where I will push myself, create, make, and challenge myself in new and old areas of creativity. I'll start to do more with the blog, but at the same time it's SO nice out! I don't like sitting in front of the computer during the summer. 

Luke 6:20
Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.

5 comments:

  1. Everyone needs a rest now and then... you'll come back with renewed inspiration and fresh ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to those seasons where God is calling us to remain "hidden." I've been feeling like I may need to have a break as well, so you're not alone in that. And if you love photography, I say go for it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy resting! i'm excited to see what art comes bursting forth in the days to come :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post, I love that video!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this video and your words. I may have to steal this from you and post it on my own blog as a reminder to myself! Thanks so much for this post.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy :)