Thursday, April 26, 2012

21 days || my life


I've decided to take a social media break for the next 21 days. As I've mentioned before I'm getting overwhelmed with all this social media usage and I think I need a break. I'll still update my blog with my 366 project, but I think I need to take some time, read, write, take pictures, discover the city, relate to people I see or don't see without the noise of social media. I did this last year in September and it proved to be something of great value. I read more books and there's was much more peace. It seems that the less noise in your life means more peace.. duh! But it's hard to practically do something about it. 

I've found myself becoming pretty restless living here. Not to be emo or anything, but it's pretty tough when I don't have my closest friends nearby and I'm doing the same thing over and over again. I am really grateful for the people around me. I just don't have close friends here in Waterloo. Facebook also made it difficult to be in the present as I would look through pictures from people in Korea and wish that I could be there. It wasn't healthy so I've decided to take a break. 

This morning I woke up, the daily Bible reading was from 1 Timothy 4:1-10. Funny because the verse that Pastor Christian used in the Facebook sermon was 1 Timothy 4:1. Coincidence or not, I know this is a good thing to do for now and it'll be refreshing. I know there isn't really a need to announce it or declare to the internet world that I'm taking a break, seeing that it won't really notice, I just wanted you (my dear faithful readers) to know.  

7 comments:

  1. Love you hannah! I think this is a wise decision. I finish a month of fasting this Sunday, but I do smell a media-fast just around the bend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i too wish i was somewhere else. but inescapably, fb seems to be essential in making and maintaining new friends. the fact that it's shallow interaction is somewhat irrelevant since all interactions at the beginning of relationships are shallow (e.g. small talk). gotta start somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's true. its definitely needed when you're in a new place

      Delete
  3. Hannah! I'm trying to stay away from social network but it's challenging!
    I got to manage staying away from facebook at least :p and I'm so proud of myself.
    I haven't read bible for a long time. Thank you bringing this up.
    I'm gonna read bible today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane :) I'm proud of you for staying away from facebook!
      thats probably the hardest part for me!

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your break!! I know sometimes, its definitely needed. We're too bumbarded with things these days. Its like our brain never gets to relax.

    I hope you feel refreshed and read a ton of books!!
    Emily at Amazing Grapes

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy :)